Adventures in the Middle East
Below is a one-minute video slideshow that highlights our 5-week tour through the Middle East, including visits to Dubai (United Arab Emirates), Egypt, Jordan and Turkey.
We were unsure how we would feel about the Middle East, given its often negative portrayal in the media, but we instantly fell in love with the region and hope to return again. It has rugged beauty, ancient treasures, deep spirituality and rich culture. Needless to say, we were pleasantly surprised that it was unlike what we had expected.
Though it does have a reputation of instability and volatility, we never felt unsafe during our travels throughout the region. In fact, the people of Jordan are some of the friendliest and most hospitable we’ve ever had the pleasure of meeting.
Having trouble viewing the video image?
Click here – Adventures in the Middle East
Our most memorable moments were:
- Sleeping under the desert stars at a Bedouin camp in Wadi Rum, Jordan
- Scuba diving and snorkeling the colorful Red Sea in Dahab, Egypt
- Snowboarding in the desert – indoor ski hill in Dubai, UAE
- Listening to the soothing Muslim call to prayer outside Hagia Sofia and the Blue Mosque in Istanbul
- Witnessing sunrise from the summit of Mount Sinai, Egypt
- Exploring the lost city of Petra in Jordan
- Tomb and temple exploring in Luxor, Egypt
- Floating in the salty waters of the Dead Sea (Jordan side)