Our VIP Experience with SPG at Cirque du Soleil Amaluna
It’s not every day we get the VIP treatment to the hottest ticket in town, so we were thrilled to attend the premiere of Cirque du Soleil’s newest performance – Amaluna.
This special night on the town was made possible by redeeming our Starpoints on our SPG Card from American Express through the SPG Moments program (read about how we did this here). Just for charging our regular purchases on our SPG Credit Card, we were able to earn enough Starpoints for this incredible experience.
This was also the first time we left Baby B with a babysitter and the first night we’ve had alone together since he was born – so it was definitely a night to remember!
We attended a Cirque du Soleil performance several years ago, so we had a general idea of what to expect. Dazzling costumes, acrobatic performers, live music and visually spectacular sets. But this experience was different. This experience had all the sizzle that comes with being a VIP.
Our VIP Rouge pass gave us complimentary parking directly in front of the entrance – a simple but much appreciated bonus – and allowed us to enter the separate VIP Rouge Suite an hour before the performance.
When we entered the private VIP Rouge tent we were greeted by several smiling hosts and an inviting glass of red wine or sparkling champagne. In our opinion, as lovers of booze and good times, this is the best way to set the mood for a fun night out!
A photographer snapped professional photos as guests entered the tent, creating a “red carpet” vibe that couldn’t help but make us feel important, if even for just one night.
Then came the delicious food… and lots of it!
There was a seemingly endless selection of hot and cold appetizers. The clear favourites were the salmon tarts and seared ahi tuna skewers (pictured below).
Roasted lamb on a bed of split pea puree
Grilled beer skewers
Everything was included in our VIP SPG Experience. Unlimited drinks, hot and cold appetizers, coat check, performance program and even a bag of fresh popcorn was handed out as we moved towards the main tent.
As we made our way to our seats we passed several popular Vancouver personalities, including Daniel Sedin and Kevin Bieksa (NHL hockey players on our Vancouver Canucks), Wally Buono (former head coach of the BC Lions football club), and the entire CTV Television newscast.
The tent set-up is quite impressive. On the outside, the iconic yellow tents do not look very big. But it’s amazing how many seats the venue can hold, especially given the size and functionality of the main stage.
Cameras were not allow during the performance, so we quickly snapped a few photos with our iPhone before things got started.
We were seated in the 6th row, which gave us a great view and perspective (front row seats are often overrated because they restrict visibility).
Amaluna did not disappoint. If you’re not familiar with the Cirque de Soleil experience, all of the music is live with multiple singers and a band, so you’re essentially getting a free concert included.
It was a highly entertaining show that will surely catch you with your mouth open and a confused look on your face. The performers were incredible. We couldn’t believe some of the acts – there were acrobats flying across the stage and bouncing from the rafters! We don’t want to be show spoilers, so we won’t get into the details of the actual performance, but we recommend you check out the show if it ever comes to your city.
The show lasted about 3 hours, including the intermission. It goes without saying that having the VIP treatment was definitely a great way to see Amaluna. We’re happy that SPG Moments had this experience available!
The Starwood Preferred Guest Program
The Moments program is just one of the reasons we’re SPG members. Here are a few more benefits of the program that stand out to us:
- Transfer Starpoints – to frequent flyer miles with more than 30 airlines, usually on a 1:1 basis
- Bonus Points – Receive a 5,000 Starpoint bonus from the SPG program when you transfer 20,000 points to a frequent flyer program
- Get free flights – members can redeem Starpoints for flights with no blackout dates on more than 350 airlines (which will get you virtually anywhere in the world)
Here are two ways to pile up your Starpoints really quickly:
- The SPG Credit Card from American Express is hosting the Wish I Were There Contest on the American Express Facebook page. They are giving away 10 prizes of 100,000 Starpoints for 5 weeks – that’s a total of 1 million Starpoints up for grabs! Each week, check out the destination photos and create and share postcards of your picture-perfect getaway with your friends. You’ll be entered to win one of the 10 prizes that can be redeemed for stays at thousands of resorts and hotels, for flights and experiences around the world. You don’t have to be a Cardmember to enter, just sign up for a free Starwood Preferred Guest Membership. Click here to enter.
- Use the SPG Credit Card from American Express. It magnifies the power of the SPG program because it’s the fastest way to earn Starpoints in Canada. Just for using the Card for your everyday purchases, you stock up points you can use to redeem for amazing travel and once-in-a-lifetime experiences like Cirque du Soleil Amaluna.
To learn more about the Starwood Preferred Guest Credit Card from American Express or to sign up for one, visit this website.