Whale watching in the San Juan Islands
We captured this week’s photo while on a whale watching excursion that departed from Victoria, British Columbia. One of the best spots to see orca whales is around the San Juan Islands in Washington State, about 45 minutes southeast of Victoria in the Salish Sea.
Our timing could not have been more perfect. There was a super pod feeding in the area, so the ocean was loaded with orca whales. According to our guide’s estimate, there were up to 88 orcas in the water that afternoon.
We would have been happy with one or two whale sightings, but we ended up seeing over 25 whales on that excursion. A fantastic stroke of good luck!
Check out these past weekly travel photos:
- Walking Amongst Giants in Karnak, Luxor
- Dubai Skyline from the Palm Monorail
- Check out the World’s Busiest Street Crossing
- Is this the World’s Most Unusual City?
- Powerful Statement at the Santa Monica Pier
- Watchful Eyes of Boudhanath in Kathmandu
Have you been whale watching before? Where did you go?
Share your experience in the comments section below, we’d love to read about it!
See map below to find out where this photo taken