Should I get travel insurance for my upcoming trip?
How many times have you asked yourself that question when planning for a trip?
For us, the answer is always YES.
We ALWAYS get travel insurance before we leave the country, especially now that we have a baby to think about. Yes, it is an annoying expense and you will likely never make a claim, but is it really worth the risk?
We don’t like to focus on the negative, but what if something terrible happens on your trip? We’ve heard absolute horror stories about travelers that went on a simple weekend getaway to Las Vegas, had an accident and were stuck with a hospital bill in the thousands. We are frugal travelers that are always looking for a deal or a way to save some money, but we never skip on travel insurance.
Most of the time we are covered by our credit cards (we pay a premium to receive air miles and insurance coverage), but when we go on trips longer than a week we always make sure we have the appropriate coverage.
There are hundreds of travel insurance brokers out there, many offering similar coverage for similar prices. So how do you decide which company to go with?
Well, if you want our opinion, we recommend World Nomads, but you should do your homework and go with a company that feels right for you and your needs.
Frequently asked questions about World Nomads travel insurance
- Do I need Travel Insurance?
When you travel, things can – and do – go wrong when you least expect it. Adequate travel insurance helps to protect you (and your bank balance). If you’re still not sure, read this.
- Who can buy it?
World Nomads Travel Insurance is available to residents of over 150 countries.
- What if I change my mind?
Had a change of travel plans? World Nomads is flexible and allows you to extend your policy while you are still traveling.
- What activities are covered?
World Nomads cover most adventure sports from bungee jumping in New Zealand to white-water rafting in Colorado.
- How do I buy it?
You can only buy World Nomads policies online using a credit card. To start, please choose your country of residence.
- How do I make a claim?
With World Nomads Travel Insurance you can claim online even if you are still traveling. And if you don’t entirely trust insurance companies, have a look at how World Nomads have helped some of their travelers.
Here are a few things to consider when choosing travel insurance:
- Cancellation: It’s no fun if you fall ill before you leave and can not go on your trip. To claim though, you have to buy your insurance policy when you buy your trip. Not all insurance policies cover cancellation, so please read the policy wording relevant to you carefully.
- Lost or Stolen Gear: most travel insurance policies have a per-item value limit – make sure its high enough to cover your gear or choose a policy that allows you to increase the limit.
- Medical expenses over and above evacuation: check that your cover includes emergency treatment while away and transport to bring you home – remembering that insurance providers will usually insist on getting you home as soon as you are fit enough to travel.
- Adventurous Activities: look carefully at what your policy covers – you may find that you are not covered to do all of the adventurous activities that you are planning while you’re away.
- Personal Liability: Accidents happen. If it’s found to be your fault and someone decides to sue you, you want to be covered.
- Is it safe to go there? Make sure you check the your Government’s Travel Warnings and keep up to date with the latest travel safety advice on the road. You may not be covered if you choose to go to a place affected by war, terrorism, civil unrest or environmental disasters (like volcanoes, earthquakes, floods) and other major events where you may be at risk.
Interested in travel insurance? Use the simple tool below or get a Quote here.
Travel Insurance. Simple & Flexible.
If you have any questions, comments or feedback, please don’t hesitate to contact us