7 Tips to Accumulate Aeroplan Miles Quickly
We have been Aeroplan members for over 10 years. During this time, we have become vigilant in collecting Aeroplan miles.
Why you ask? Simple – because it’s saved us thousands of dollars on travel and it’s really easy to do!
It helps that our Canadian national airline (Air Canada) is a part of the Star Alliance, a global airline network with the largest number of member airlines, daily flights, destinations and countries flown to. We try to fly with Star Alliance as much as possible so that we can accumulate the maximum number of Aeroplan miles.
When we first started collecting miles, we only had an Aeroplan card. We accumulated miles by traveling on Star Alliance flights and making purchases at retail stores that were connected to the rewards program.
We’re always amazed to learn that many Canadians (and many of our friends and family) do not collect Aeroplan miles. It’s such a simple program with virtually no downside, so we’re confused why people don’t take advantage of all the freebies you can earn by simply showing your card. The card costs nothing and, if you’re diligent, you can earn a free flight in North America pretty quickly.
We now accumulate miles with our CIBC VISA Infinite card, which helps us gain Aeroplan miles much faster. We put everything on our VISA, including bill payments, travel purchases, gas, clothing, beer and grocery shops – everything!
We earn 1 Aeroplan Mile for every $1 charged on our card, with additional earning opportunities at gas, grocery, and drug stores. By using our Aeroplan Visa on virtually every purchase we make, we’ve been able to get at least one free flight per year.
That said, one down side is that the card carries an annual fee. So it’s important to commit to the strategy (ie. using the card to pay for most household purchases), or you may find that the annual fee offsets the rewards. However, an added bonus to the Aeroplan visa card is that we get comprehensive travel insurance included, which means we don’t need to purchase extra travel insurance when we visit the US or take short trips.
Here are some tips to Accumulate Aeroplan Miles quickly:
- Double your miles – using an Aeroplan affiliated financial card (CIBC or American Express) you will earn twice the miles on your purchases.
- Earn on everyday purchases – purchasing gas at Esso Stations and/or buying groceries at Sobeys or Thrifty Foods will earn you miles. Using tip 1, if you also pay with your CIBC Visa, you earn double the miles. It’s all about making smart choices.
- Stay updated – Aeroplan’s web site (www.aeroplan.com/promotions) sometimes offers promotions that let you earn Bonus miles. Do some basic research and stay informed, it will pay off.
- Shop Online – Aeroplan members can earn miles by shopping online with over 150 retailers, such as Apple Canada, The Gap, Sears.ca, and the Aeroplan eStore (www.aeroplan.com/eStore). Members earn at least 1 Aeroplan Mile for every $1 spent.
- Redeem Miles – if you redeem miles on Aeroplan.com for specific hotels (select Fairmont Hotels & Resorts properties, Best Western and Delta Hotels & Resorts) you also earn miles at the same time. Aeroplan members can earn 400 miles with every Avis car rental reward redeemed.
- Get your eyes checked – Aeroplan Members can earn Aeroplan Miles through qualifying activities at more than 350 select independent eye care practitioners across Canada. Members can earn 1 Aeroplan Mile for every $1 spent on eye exams, contact lenses, frames, lenses, sunglasses and other supplies.
- Book your next travel adventure through Destination Miles – Destination Miles, a new service exclusive to Aeroplan Members, allows members to use cash to book at over 78,000 properties globally, from both Aeroplan partner and non-partner hotel brands. You can also rent cars from Avis and Hertz in Canada, the US and Europe and purchase vacation packages with Air Canada Vacations. With each purchase, members earn miles by booking through Destination Miles. In celebration of the launch (April 2012), members can earn 3 miles for every $1 spent for a limited time.
To learn more, you can visit Aeroplan’s website: https://www.aeroplan.com/
Do you collect Aeroplan Miles? Care to share your tips to accumulate more miles?
Share your feedback in the comments section below!
Disclosure – Aeroplan is a travel sponsor for our summer trip to Europe, however expressed opinions are entirely our own. We are supporters and users of the Aeroplan rewards program.