Win ‘Once-in-a-lifetime’ rewards with Aeroplan dExclusives
As loyalty programs continue to adapt and evolve, big brands in the travel space are coming up with creative ways to attract new customers and keep existing members engaged.
Aeroplan, our most often used loyalty program, has continued to expand its Distinction program by introducing dExclusives, an online auction site that serves up some juicy escapes and one-of-a-kind rewards that are only available to members that have gained Distinction status.
If this is the first time you’ve heard of Aeroplan Distinction and you don’t know what the heck we’re talking about, learn about the Distinction program here.
When we first learned of the dExclusives program we visited the website to see what kind of rewards were featured. We’ve used a similar online auction before and had mixed feelings about it. The reward options on this other program were either too limited, uninteresting or unattainable, so we quickly lost interest. For this type of program to work, there needs to be awesome rewards that are worth bidding on.
The dExclusives rewards are grouped into 3 categories:
- Escapes – Once-in-a-lifetime trips and weekend getaways. There was a pretty sweet World Cup Brazil package that included tickets to the World Cup finals, business class seats and 9 nights hotel accommodations. The winning bid fetched over 1.6 million Aeroplan Miles!
- In the City – tickets to sold-out concerts or exclusive access to sporting events.
- Money Can’t Buy – priceless, highly coveted items like PK Subban’s autographed Team Canada Olympic jersey from Sochi.
One of the current escapes that caught our attention is the Chicago Baseball Getaway Weekend (pictured above). The package includes the following
- 2 round trip Economy class flights to Chicago from anywhere in Canada (all airline fees, taxes, and fuel surcharges are included)
- 3 nights’ hotel accommodation at the Fairmont Chicago Millennium Park hotel
- 2 tickets to the Chicago Cubs game Saturday afternoon at Wrigley Field. (Infield Club Box 14, Row 2 , seats 5 & 6)
- 2 Chicago Trolley Hop-On Hop-Off Bus Tour passes
When I looked at the details I instantly pictured myself sitting in the legendary ball park with the sun shining and a cold beer and hot dog in hand. I turned to Nicole and said, “we should bid on this one”. One cannot predict how high the winning bid will be, but, for a moment, I envisioned myself on that trip and felt there was good value in making a bid.
The options are ever changing, so visit the website to find current auctions.
A few things we like about dExclusives:
- When flights are involved, flights are available from anywhere in Canada
- As more auctions become available, it’s possible to score a weekend trip for less miles than if you were to book it separately
- All airline fees, taxes, and fuel surcharges are included in the getaways
- Hotels that are included in the Escapes are executive hotels like the Westin and Fairmont
How does the dExclusives program work?
- Browse – Distinction members can check out all the rewards currently available for auction at the dExclusives auction site: www.aeroplan.com/dExclusives.
- Bid – Place an entry or maximum bid on the site.
- Win – If you’re the highest bidder when the auction closes, you win. Miles will be automatically debited from your account and you will be contacted by an Aeroplan dExclusives representative about the next steps.
You must be a Distinction member to bid. Some bids require a specific Distinction level to bid stating either dSilver, dBlack, or dDiamond.
Each bid has a set date and end time. Bidders need to be careful to keep an eye on the end date since each bid is different. For those who don’t want to sit around and continually watch their bid, you are able to put in a max bid and the system will automatically bid to that predetermined amount.
What do you think? Is this a program you can see yourself using? Why or why not?
Disclosure – Aeroplan is one of our travel partners, however expressed opinions are entirely our own. We are long-time supporters and users of the Aeroplan rewards program.