Powerful Statement at the Santa Monica Pier, California
A massive display of military graves was not something we expected to see at the buzzing Santa Monica pier. But it certainly achieved its goal.
On the north side of the iconic pier, amongst a sea of colourful umbrellas and beach-goers, lies a powerful political statement that stretches the span of a football field. Two coffins covered with American flags rest in the middle of hundreds of red and white crosses, symbolizing the casualties of the decade long war on terrorism.
Shortly after we arrived, a group of spirited protestors gathered near the makeshift cemetery, chanting and waving handmade signs. Tourists and sunbathers weaved in and out of the demonstration, some oblivious to the spectacle. Regardless of your political views, this exhibit sends a powerful message to its visitors.
Check out these past weekly travel photos:
- Spectacular views from the clifftop Village of Oia, Santorini
- Desert Oasis of Huacachina in Peru
- Check out the World’s Busiest Street Crossing
- Is this the World’s Most Unusual City?
- Colourful Crab on the Galapagos Islands
- Searching for Wild Rhinos in the Jungles of Nepal
Have you visited the Santa Monica pier? Did you see this beach cemetery?
Share your experiences in the comments section below, we’d love to read about it!
See map below to find out where this photo taken.