My quest to visit every ski resort in British Columbia
The ski season has officially begun here in the Pacific Northwest and we’re starting to get excited about our upcoming winter adventures. This year, La Niña is expected to dump a lot of snow on British Columbia‘s coastal mountains, so we’re hopeful this is going to be an epic season.
Every year I have a goal to snowboard 5 different mountains.
On the surface, this should be an easy goal to hit, given that Vancouver has 3 local mountains and Whistler-Blackcomb is only a 1.5 hour drive away. But it always seems to come down to the wire. Vancouver temperatures are unpredictable and we never know how long the season will last. It’s also rare that we visit all 3 local mountains in one season.
This year, we plan to add a few new mountains to the list. We plan to visit Panorama Mountain Resort (near Invermere) and Kicking Horse Resort in Golden, British Columbia.
We spend most of our time riding the heavy wet snow on the coast, so we’re getting pretty stoked to ride that smooth champagne powder in the Rockies!
The purpose of me writing this post is because I’m a big believer in the power of sharing personal goals. The act of writing these goals on paper (or laptop) puts the goal out there for everyone to see. It makes it real. It holds us accountable.
So, here it is…
My goal is to visit every ski resort in
British Columbia by 2025
I chose the year 2025 because a goal without a end date is just a dream. I want to hit this goal, so I need to create the plan today. I have given myself 8 years to complete this goal.
According to my research, there are currently 37 ski resorts in British Columbia. We have already visited 8 of these, leaving 29 mountains to visit in 8 years.
That means we need to visit 3-4 new ski resorts each year.
Doable. But it will require serious commitment.
Why do I want to snowboard every ski resort in BC?
The reason I’ve chosen this particular goal (aside from the fact that we love playing in the mountains) is because it will take us to every corner of British Columbia.
There are still so many places we have yet to visit in our big beautiful backyard. This goal now gives us a reason to travel to cities like Prince George, Golden and Dawson Creek.
Another big reason is because we love the ski culture and want to share theses experiences with our boys. Achieving this goal will require us to plan multiple ski trips each year. I want this to be something we look forward to each year, as a family. I want our boys involved in the planning process and I want to teach them to get outside and enjoy the great outdoors.
Hopefully it will inspire them to create big goals for themselves, too.
Here’s the list of ski resorts in British Columbia
- Apex Mountain Resort, Penticton
- Bear Mountain Ski Hill, Dawson Creek
- Big Bam Ski Hill, Fort St. John
Big White Ski Resort, Kelowna Cypress Mountain, West Vancouver
- Fairmont Hot Springs Resort, Fairmont Hot Springs
- Fernie Alpine Resort, Fernie
Grouse Mountain, North Vancouver
- Harper Mountain, Kamloops
- Hart Highlands Ski Hill, Prince George
Sasquatch Mountain Resort, Agassiz
- Hudson Bay Mountain, Smithers
- Kicking Horse Resort, Golden
- Kimberley Alpine Resort, Kimberley
- Little Mac Ski Hill, Mackenzie
Manning Park (Gibson Pass), Hope-Princeton(See video here)
- Mount Baldy Ski Area, Rock Creek
- Mount Cain Ski Area, Vancouver Island
Mount Seymour, North Vancouver
- Mount Timothy Ski Area, Lac La Hache/100 Mile
Mount Washington Alpine Resort, Vancouver Island
- Murray Ridge Ski Area, Fort St. James
- Panorama Mountain Resort, Invermere
- Phoenix Mountain Ski Resort, Phoenix-Greenwood
- Powder King Mountain Resort, Mackenzie/Pine Pass
- Purden Ski Village, Prince George
- Red Mountain Resort, Rossland
- Revelstoke Mountain Resort, Revelstoke
- Salmo Ski Area, Salmo
- Shames Mountain, Terrace
Silver Star Mountain Resort, Vernon
- Summit Lake Ski Area, Nakusp
Sun Peaks Resort, Kamloops
- Tabor Mountain Alpine Resort, Prince George
- Troll Ski Resort, Quesnel-Wells
Whistler Blackcomb, Whistler
- Whitewater Ski Resort, Nelson
I can’t wait to cross off each one of these ski resorts from the list above. Hopefully this little ol’ travel blog will still be around in 10+ years. Only time will tell!
Read more posts from past snowboarding trips:
- POWDER DAYS at Manning Ski Resort
- 30 Photos from our Winter Ski Trip to Sun Peaks
- PHOTOS: Snowboarding at Lake Louise Ski Resort in Alberta
- 25 Winter Photos from Big White Ski Resort
- Photo Essay: Snowboarding in the French Alps
Have you visited these ski resorts in British Columbia?
Do you have any tips or recommendations for those that we have not visited?