Welcome to our travel blog
Hello! We are Nicole and Cameron Wears, a married couple and newbie parents living in beautiful Vancouver, British Columbia on the west coast of Canada.
The goal for this travel blog is simple – to share our travel stories from around the globe and in our beautiful backyard, with the hope that it will inspire you to travel more or help you plan that next big adventure you’ve been dreaming about.
Travel is very personal. It means different things to different people. To some, it’s a one week vacation to an all-inclusive hotel in the Caribbean. To others, it’s strapping on a backpack with no itinerary or end date.
Our hope is that this blog helps you find travel inspiration regardless of your travel style.
We consider ourselves very fortunate to have traveled to over 65 countries and territories together in the past 10 years, fulfilling many of our life goals and dreams along the way.
Travel is a common passion that has always played an important role in our lives. Our exposure to travel began at young ages, with Cam living in Nairobi, Kenya at age 12 and Nicole backpacking around Europe at age 19.
After living in Malaysia in 2004 and exploring most of Southeast Asia, we got bitten by the travel bug and have since made travel an important part of our lives.
In the summer of 2008 we made a bold decision. We traded our great jobs for a backpack and a checklist. It was an exiting time in our lives, filled with every kind of emotion you can think of. We were on the move every few days for over a year, from Peru to Japan to Jordan to Italy. To this day, it remains one of the best experiences of our lives.
It was also the adventure that pushed us to create this travel blog in late 2008.
Initially, this blog was meant to keep family and friends updated about our travels around the world. But, when we returned from that adventure, we realized that our journey had only just begun.
The world opened our eyes to possibility and taught us that happiness is a state of mind. Long-term meaningful travel gave us the gift of confidence, clarity and optimism. It taught us to be patient and humble. It taught us to respect and appreciate the planet and the many different people and cultures that make it interesting and wonderful.
Most importantly, the lessons learned from long-term travel gave us the courage to pursue life’s next great challenge – raising a family.
In 2010, we decided to plant some roots in Vancouver, British Columbia.
We no longer had the desire to live out of a backpack indefinitely. We love having a home and should not be mistaken for digital nomads on a trip that never ends. We go to work every day, like most people, but we choose not to sacrifice travel for work, and vice versa.
In 2011, we welcomed our first son Braydon to the world. Almost two years later, his brother Connor was born. The joy our little boys bring to our lives is hard to put into words. They amaze us every day and remind us what is truly important in life – love, health and happiness.
We now travel as a family of four. Our dusty backpacks have been exchanged for over-sized luggage on wheels and late nights at the pub have been traded for early mornings at the coffee shop.
Inevitably, our travel style has changed and evolved. However, we are proof that it is possible to build a career and family AND travel the globe and follow your dreams.
We’re thrilled you found us and hope you find our travel stories, photos and tips useful.
Don’t know where to start?
How about some fun travel inspiration?
- There is MUCH more to Peru than Machu Picchu
- Why You Should Visit the Mosel Valley in Germany
- From Backpackers to Bollywood Actors: A Day in Mumbai, India
- 28 Epic Adventures by Travel Bloggers in 2013
- 28 Powerful Quotes That Inspire Travel
Or some cool awesome travel photos?
- 13 Awesome Miniature Photos from Around the World
- 39 B&W Photos that will Inspire You to Travel the World
- 17 Photos of Memorable Hikes from our Travels
- Photo Essay: Snowboarding in the French Alps
- Photo Essay: The Magical Landscapes of Cappadocia, Turkey
Maybe you want to learn more about us?
- How we Balance Work, Family and Travel
- After 5 years of travel blogging, what have we learned?
- Why do we continue to travel with a baby
- A Quick Look Back at our Travel Blog
- Read our interview and guest posts and our travels from A to Z
Are you looking for some travel tips and advice?
- When Travel Bloggers Get Scammed – Don’t be a victim
- Planning a Round-the-World Trip: 15 Things NOT to Forget
- What are Our Favourite Countries?
- How to Budget for a Trip Around the World
- Should you get travel insurance for your upcoming trip?
Take a peak at some of our popular posts:
- Memorable Moments Drinking Beer Around the World
- 9 European Cities We Think You Should Visit and Why
- From Floods to Forts – How Jodhpur Made an Impression
- Snowboarding in the Desert? Welcome to Dubai!
- 22 Beaches to Take Your Mind Off Winter
- Travel to Molokai – What to Do and What Not to Do
Thanks for stopping by… we’re happy you found us!
For those that don’t know, Canuck is a slang term used to describe a Canadian. It is also the name of Vancouver’s professional hockey team, the Vancouver Canucks, hence the name of our travel site. Look at that – you just learned something new today!